This is the fourth time I’ve helped facilitate DIY Theatre Companys Three Year Plan, that’s twelve years that have gone very fast! We ran three sessions, one for the full company, one for the board of directors and one for the friday group who undertake the educational activities for the company. As usual they were really welcoming and very forthcoming with ideas and suggestions for the future and practical solutions to problems.
It has been fantastic watching this theatre company grow over the years, how the members have taken on more responsibility for themselves and the development of the company. I was particularly iimpressedby how much evaluation of projects and activities is part of the DNA of the company.
DIY is an established Theatre Company of learning disabled performers who have been creating entertaining, accessible and thought-provoking theatre since 1994. I’ve known them since 1995. In 2013 I was involved in a Heritage Lottery project with them called Picking up the threads to celebrate their history
On the 10th November I took part in a joint crit between the Islington Mill Art Academy and Artists based at the Mill. Steve Hockett from the Mill and I both presented. I found it quite a difficult crit but very useful. We have put up a post on the Art Academy website about our experience. Click here to read post.
Have just finished working with a group of children at Oasis Academy in Salford. This was part of an Arts Council funded project run through Salford Community Leisure. Based around a retrospective exhibition of the art work of Colin Burrows at Salford Museum and Art gallery this project was to work with year 9 and10’s to look at everyday objects in a different way. Organised by Alison Burrows, Colin’s widow, 5 different artists are running sessions in different art forms and the children are using their work to complete their Bronze Arts Award.
In my sessions, we drew every day objects with thick charcoal lines, then reproduced these drawings in stitch on layers of felt which we then cut away to create a reverse appliqué, and then we made a more traditional appliqué. The results were amazing as you can see from the images.